Thursday, January 22, 2009

That's why they call it fishing.............

Yesterday morning I picked up James and Mike , both from New York .
We went fishing on 3 of the best spots but could not score a bone , the weather was bad and
luck was not on or side.
A little disappointed we went back to drop off James at his hotel and on our way to Mike's hotel. When I decided to stop for a second to look at this small flat next to one of the hotels.
We walked to the flat and saw this 10 pound bonefish and our rods where still in the car. Mike was very impressed with the size of the bone and I was running to the car and broke the record for setting up a rod!
When I came back to the flat, Mike was still looking at the fish .
I give him the rod and told him to go for it and he did!
Because he was a little nervous he hit the bone straight on the head and spooked him.
It took like four beers before we could talk about anything else!
Due to my busy schedule I asked Mike to come fishing with me again the next morning at this spot, but he had no time .
I got up this morning at 6.30 and the only thing on my mind was that little flat .
Two minutes later I went to that spot and as soon as I got there I saw 4 bones tailing in different directions!
Making sure that the wind was in my back, I cast to the one bone 20 ft in front of me with a shrimp imitation that Mike had made .....................twitch twitch bang!
It was not the big bone from yesterday but it was a beautiful fish !
So you can never tell one day you fish for hours and can't catch them and the next day you do one cast and you land a great fish.
Leaving the flat with mixed emotions I was happy to catch that fish but would have been more happy if Mike or James would have caught it !

(James left the Island and promised to come back next year and Mike who I like to thank for the great flies he made for me will be here for one more week to score his trophy!) .
Posted by fly fishing Aruba at 6:42 AM 1

2 comments:

  1. Hey laurenz, maybe this New Yorker can land that 10 pounder! Great going.

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great times, great company.

    I'll be back. ;)

    ReplyDelete